Saturday, July 17, 2010

Old Habits Die Hard

We've entered into a new baby phase...Baby Food!  Parents everywhere know this means that, instead of spending $75+ per month on formula, we're now redirecting some of that money to the baby food budget!  (In my head, this is supposed to cost less, but given the prices of organic baby food I'm not sure it actually is!  By the way, I know I *could* make my own, but seriously, who has time for that?!?)  

So last week I head to the grocery store with a cart full of kids (the girls, for some reason, really wanted to ride in the cart that day though this is highly unusual) and just enough room for a couple nights worth of dinner and a lot of baby food.  Though it has been nearly 3 years since I have purchased baby food, I started doing the math in my head as soon as I started down the aisle.  You must understand that buying baby food for the girls (who have always been big eaters, despite their size) was an expensive event, so I was preparing myself for how many jars I was going to need and how much it was going to cost. 

I start filling the cart with jars and jars of pureed fruits and vegetables.  It's not long before I have to kick the girls out of the cart.  They were ready to get out anyway, they tell me, and they think it's hilarious that their seats of 2 minutes ago are now covered with these tiny glass jars that make "fun sounds when you click them together."  Thankfully there would be no Clean Up on Aisle 4 today! 

Once I get home and am putting all of these entertaining little jars away,  I realize that I bought everything in two's!  Yes, I had two or four of nearly every kind of jar on the shelf.  Which would be fine if this was the third or fourth time I had purchased baby food for Baby Drew and I already knew what he liked. 

I was so used to buying baby food in twos (one for each girl) that I never stopped to consider that Drew might not like half of this stuff!  Unfortunately, he had not tried any of these 2nd foods yet.  I knew which 1st foods he preferred, so I had gotten more of things mixed with apples, pears and sweet potatos...but the multiple jars of peas and brown rice turned out to be a mistake.


One happy little guy!

The upside to this "oopsie" is that Drew has proved to be an even better eater than his sisters.  Easily taking down his 4-4.5 oz jars at breakfast and lunch...and even ate 6.5 oz at dinner last night!  So, though we may have a surplus of some things he'll just have to suffer through once or twice more at least it will last us through a couple of weeks.  With all the transitioning my brain from two babies to one, this humorous little event was a welcome change!  :)

3 comments:

  1. Hey B! I love the new blog picture!! And yes, buying for babies adds up quickly! I love buying organic too, and I don't know who has time to make their own food, but kudos to anyone who does! Drew will be fine with whatever you feed him, and I am glad he is eating so well:)
    P.S. Lexi took the peas, spinach (check ingredients) and brown rice all down the first time, but refused it the second time, and she does not refuse much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the blog, Brandi (and the blog picture!) They are so adorable..

    ReplyDelete