Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tale of Many T-shirts

Getting dressed for my run tonight, I grab a pair of shorts and a t-shirt off the top of my pile of running clothes in my closet.  They never actually get put away; why bother?!? I often wonder which neighbors I will see out on my run and what interesting tid-bits I will learn along the way.  Tonight, however, for some reason I wondered the opposite.  What do people think when they see me run by?  Often I am curious about the neighbors regularly I see along my path. 

First, I consider what they might see as I pass them by.  I usually wear my wedding rings when I run, so if they are looking closely enough, they would know I am married.  My hair is always up in a ponytail and I'm sporting some solid color knit shorts (unless I need to do laundry, then I am forced to pull the black mesh "UCA cheerleader" shorts from high school from the depths of my bottom drawer) and tennis shoes.  Not much to go by so far.  All relevant "information" they could use comes from my t-shirts. 

So what do my t-shirts say about me?  A few are Colts shirts that I just don't wear much anymore, including an AFC Champs shirt from 2007 that my husband rendered "useless" after we won the Super Bowl that year.  (Who cares?  We beat the Pats for that title!  A great memory regardless.)  A couple are from other 5K's, including (and my favorite!) the one my friend Kristen designed for the 5K I organized in Ava's honor last August benifiting Peyton Manning Children's Hospital.  Some are Comair shirts from my airline days and others have Hanover College written across the front. But most of my "running shirts" are old Chi Omega or Sigma Chi shirts from college - one even has Gilligan's face on the back!  Another one is simply white with a giant black skull and crossbones on the front.  No greek letters or other indicator that this shirt actually had a purpose once (I think it was our sorority IM shirt one year) just a large pirate symbol across my chest. 

Seriously, what are my neighbors thinking?  If they notice me as often as I notice them, they might be a little worried!  The couple down the street who is usually arguing with the windows open, I'm sure they couldn't care less.  But my retired neighbor across the street or the doctor on the cul-de-sac who routinely tend to their lawns during my run or any of the three police officers who live along my route (Brownsburg, Speedway and IMPD...I guess this is a pretty safe neighborhood!) - what do they think about this Colts-loving, skull-and-crossbones-wearing, sorority girl and one-time cheerleader who happens to be their neighbor?  Maybe one night I'll stop and ask!

3 comments:

  1. Such a fun post, B! I have ruined the sleeves of all my long-sleeved Chi-O shirts with running...I have finger holes where I used to keep my hands curled up inside when I ran, and eventually they wore out. How fun! I am so glad you have that time to run. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so funny! Just last night I was thinking that I really hoped we didn't have a fire because 1) that would be terrible and 2) I was wearing my "Beer it's just not for dinner anymore" t-shirt and I was wondering what people would think if they saw me on the news wearing that shirt while being this pregnant! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I turned my shirts into a quilt, so I don't have any Chi Omega shirts to wear anymore but I love that you are still sporting yours!

    I never thought about what the neighbors think of me when I walk Dixie every night. I know what I think of them and their yards and landscaping.

    ReplyDelete