Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Dream Job

I've been running this phrase through my head for several months now and the writer in me feels compelled to share my thoughts with you.  Back in March I attended my good friend Sarah's baby shower and was catching up with her sister, Rachel.  Rachel asked me what I was doing (work-wise) these days and I, rather sheepishly, responded that I stay at home with the kids.  Before I could begin to process why I was embarassed, she surprised me with her response, "Wow, what a dream job!"  Really?  Did I hear her correctly?  We chatted a little more before the shower was over but her words stayed with me that day.  As I drove home, I went over our conversation a few more times. 



I know I'm fortunate to have been a stay at home mom for the past 4 years but I didn't realize until that day how blessed I truly am.  Most of my mom-friends work outside the home in some capacity and many days I envied their "escape" from a kid-centered world (this includes you, teacher friends!)  It wasn't until I tried to understand the meaning of Rachel's seemingly unusual response that I began to see my good fortune!  I have never missed a first: a first roll, a first scoot, a first crawl, the first time sitting up (and falling down), first babbles, first words, first trips...I was and am able to be there for all of them!  Don't get me wrong, I still dream of a career in broadcasting or PR or sports or, if I should be so lucky, some combination of them all...someday!  But right now I am happy to know I'm right where I belong. 

Let me not fail to mention, however, that without the support of my wonderful husband my life would be much different.  His hard work and sacrifice allow me the opportunity to experience motherhood in this unique way!  Love you!

I know every family has different needs and circumstances, so let me be clear - moms and dads  everywhere should be applauded for the work they put in every day for their families, wherever "work" might be :) 

And a special thank-you to Rachel for the valuable insight I'm sure you had no idea you were providing (until now!) 

4 comments:

  1. You are very lucky, indeed, Brandi! I had a very hard time returning to work, but I am also lucky that Lexi gets to spend her days away from me with two people who couldn't be happier to watch her. Enjoy every minute with your little ones. Love the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a stay at home mom myself, I find your blog absolutly awesome! I find our job, however very difficult, the most rewarding job in the world! I applaud YOU, and all other parents out there also!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think being a mom is the hardest job in the world. You don't get vacations and you don't get breaks. Your children are lucky to have you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I am happy to see you on the blog bandwagon!!

    ReplyDelete