Thursday, July 22, 2010

A Change Will Do Me Good

Now I am a creature of habit, but even I have to admit that sometimes change is good.  Now that you inevitably have the Sheryl Crow song in your head (at least I do) let me explain.  I turned 29 a few months ago and it hit me harder than I expected it to.  Suddenly I was faced with the possibility of leaving my 20's behind me with some regrets. 

Before I proceed, I need to mention that anyone who has the urge to remind me that age is just a number and 30 isn't *that bad* need not respond.  I was driving a mini-van at 27, I know it can't get that much worse!  Like so many women before me, I'm not looking for you to "fix it" I just want to vent!  :)

I digress.  Before my birthday I started thinking about all the things I wanted to do in my lifetime.  Traveling, lots of traveling, was at the top of that list along with other things like Colts games and road trips to new places and spontaneous adventures!  In the past 4 years all the spontaneity has been sucked out of me (kids will do that!) but the others remain.  Somehow, my approaching birthday brought all this to my attention. 

First, I came to terms with the excess baby weight that refuses to go away (still 5 lbs to go) and decided to give running a try.  Turns out, I love to run!  I have tried running many times in the past, but not since high school have I actually enjoyed it.  I even took a running class in college (yes, and got credit for it!) because I thought that would give me the motivation I needed...nope, I  just needed 3 kids to truly appreciate the 30 minutes of complete silence running outdoors provides.  



Running my first 5k - July 4th in Greendale.
Next up, a makeover...I wish!  Sadly, "What Not To Wear" is not coming to my house anytime soon and a shopping spree isn't exactly in the budget.  So what's the one thing I haven't changed once in 29 years?  My hair color!  Yes, it's been some shade of blonde my entire life, which suits me really, but I've always wanted to be a red-head.  So auburn red it is!  Seriously, everyone should experience the kind of mini-thrill I got when she took the towel off my head to reveal my new hair color...it was amazing!  I loved it from the moment I saw it :)  As my stylist told me while she was coloring it, "Not everyone is sassy enough to pull off red!"  I know it's her job to make me feel fabulous, but I like to think I am just sassy enough to pull it off!     



I have also been able to convince my less adventurous husband that a little couple time is good for the soul.  We road-tripped it to NC last November for a friend's wedding and will be cruising the Carribean in the spring for our official birthday celebration.  And there's still plenty of time to travel Europe and maybe take in a few more Colts games before we're *gasp* old!     
My sassy new 'do!

4 comments:

  1. I hope you post pictures of your new hair color. I bet it looks absolutely splendid. :)

    And I know how you feel about 30! Eek, I'm going to be 31 in a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree! I want to see pictures too, B:)It is hard not to feel some anxiety before thirty rolls around, but look at all the great things you've accomplished so far, and maybe having kids at a younger age will mean travelling and enjoying more spontaneity at a younger "older" age;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your new hair color and I am so jealous you are taking a cruise in the spring! I have been thinking of taking up running as well but haven't gotten my butt in gear yet. Like you, the 30s are looming ahead and I want to look good for when it gets here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I had your sense of adventure when it comes to hair color!

    ReplyDelete