Monday, July 12, 2010

Birthday Bonanza Weekend

So many birthday's, so little time!  This weekend, my brother in law turned 30, my great-grandma turned 90 and my other brother in law is 28 today.  Not to mention my good friends Abby and Liz who joined me in the final year of our 20's last Monday and today, respectively...Happy Birthday to all! 

Saturday we set out for Jeffersonville OH to visit my great-grandma, Nana Muriel.  At some point during the marathon road trip (6.5 hours in the car, 5.5 hours eating, visiting and shopping) I realized that I was never lucky enough to have met any of my great-great grandparents and now all three of my kids have met two of theirs - my Nana Muriel and Nick's Grandma Redman, who turned 96 (I think) in April. 

Though I haven't seen Nana Muriel in 2.5 years, she is still as fiesty as ever - she was actually at the salon getting her hair done when we arrived!  I hope I'm still visiting the salon when I'm 90!  She told us she never watches the TV in her living room, which amazed me!  On the other hand, Nick has promised to get cable when he turns 90, so I have that to look forward to :)  Maybe ESPN Classic will still show reruns of the Colts-Bears Superbowl XLI!  (Classic only because it was the first Superbowl in the rain, not because it was a great game.)   

Our visit with Nana Muriel was a good one, but soon it was time to leave.  However, I was not about to drive all the way to Jeffersonville and not stop at the outlets before I went home!  This is not just any outlet mall - sure Edinburgh is great for my outlet fix, but Jeffersonville has the cream of the crop - Pottery Barn and PB Kids, kate spade, BCBG, White House/Black Market plus everyone's favorites like Coach, Gymboree, Gap and Banana Republic, etc.  Obviously, given our already hectic day, spending much time at the outlets was not an option.  I had time for ONE Store (so I was told by my driver :) )...and what did I choose?  PB Kids of course!  Scored some excellent deals on lunch gear, curtains for Baby D's room and an adorable baby book that matches the one's we got the girls 4 years ago!  And a very special cyber-space thank you to the employee who climbed the wall of boxes in the store room to find the *one* handtowel that I needed to complete the kids bathroom ensemble!!  I'm glad she loves her job :) 

Finally we were on our way home.  We spent all day recovering from our long day Saturday (4 of us even took naps!) but I'm so glad that we were able to visit with Nana Muriel on the day before her actual birthday!  What a fun family memory...and as soon as I figure out how to add pictures to my post, you will get to see pictures of my kids with their great-great grandma!

Happy 90th Birthday Nana Muriel!

2 comments:

  1. I have many memories from being trapped in the car on long family car rides. And how great that your kids get to meet their great-grandparents!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the birthday shout-out, B! It was great to see you Friday, and I am glad your trip went well:)

    ReplyDelete