Saturday, September 11, 2010

Baby, Baby

Don't drink the water!  Seriously, in the past several months the number of people I know who are pregnant has increased exponentially.  Some of them are close girlfriends and others I have reconnected with on Facebook, but at last count I have learned of at least one new pregnancy every week for the past 4 or 5 weeks!  When thinking of these moms-to-be (whether it be their first or their fourth), I think back to my first pregnancy and try to remember the things I wish veteran moms would have shared with me:

Baby D at 2 weeks


* As a first time mom, packing for the hospital can be intimidating.  Pack comfortable (maternity) clothes - and don't let the nurse try to convince you wearing that horrible hospital gown is the way to go.  The disposable underwear, though, that's another story...

* Write EVERYTHING down!  I don't care if you think it's unimportant or ridiculous, write it down.  You will love reading through it months and years later.  Sadly, I have done a much better job at this for Baby D than I did for my girls but it's never too late to start.  I also started a "quote journal" to record all of the hilarious things my preschoolers say.  The mind of a 3-4 year old is amazing.  I just wish I could find a tape recorder so that I can record the way they say things....makes it even funnier!

* Take pictures of baby feet, baby hands, baby fingers and baby toes.  Another thing we didn't do right away with the girls that I am still kicking myself.  By the time we did (about 6 weeks) those brand new fingers and toes were already bigger! 

* You're a new mom - don't be so hard on yourself!  You're gonna mess up - I still do, every day!  If you don't mess up, you will never learn anything new, right Mom?  Being a mom is the hardest job you will ever have, regardless of your occupation.  It's also the most rewarding.

* Spit-up Happens.  This one was too easy.  Get used to wearing it, smelling it, and stepping in it.  And through it all know that, when you look back to your baby's first 12 months, you won't remember any of it!

* Same goes for poop.  Apparently organic baby food makes babies (or maybe just my son) go #2 about 4-5 times per day.  I know this is an insanely high frequency for an 8 month old (though normal for a 0-3 month old).  But he loves his Apple Pear Oatmeal and Harvest Squash Turkey, so a few extra diapers a day is worth it! 

* The baby weight will eventually go away...if you work at it.  That "line" everyone gives you about how it took "9 months to put it on, 9 months to take it off" is actually true.  You are at a distinct advantage if you are in your early to mid-20's during your pregnancy when your metabolism is much kinder to you.  I was 25 when A and C were born and lost all 67 lbs in 6 months (with a lot of help from Weight Watchers).  On the other hand now, 3.5 years later, the scale says I have been within 2 lbs of my pre-prego weight for 6 weeks but my shape is finally starting to make a comeback too!  (A little help from WW and a lot of running!)  In the meantime, enjoy the fact that you have a legitimate excuse to wear yoga pants every day! 
* Don't watch the infomercials on during those 3am feedings - unless you are prepared to buy whatever it is they are selling.  Vacuums and kitchen utensils (even cars, right B?!) have a way of becoming immediately necessary in the middle of the night. 

* Try, try, try to not worry about the housework.  If you are a perfectionist like me, this is much harder than it sounds.  I eventually figured out that I physically could not take care of two babies (now three), my husband, myself, the laundry, the dishes, the dinner, the bathrooms, the vacuuming...every day! It will always be there waiting for me whenever I get around to it!


My attempt at a nap with the girls at about 3 mths old!
 *Take naps with your baby - let's face it, you will need the nap by the time baby goes down!  Snuggled up on the couch or in the glider is a great place to relax and cuddle with your baby.  Before you know it, your little one won't want to even sit on your lap, let alone snuggle up with you for a nap...enjoy the snuggle stage while it lasts!

* Make lots of "mom friends" if you haven't already.  Though I was the first of my closest college friends to get pregnant, I was lucky enough to know two moms whose first babies are just a few months older than mine and to have several more of our friends also start their families before the girls' first birthday.  You will still love hanging out with your "kid-less" friends to truly get away from it all...but the relationships you build with other moms going through the same growing pains as you are priceless.  And the lunches and play dates, parties and vacations are pretty fabulous, too!

* Start a Blog or Online Journal!  I know it sounds silly - but if you can find the time to update it (weekly, even monthly!) you will have a wonderful recount of your child's most important and memorable moments and be able to easily share your updates with family and friends.  And that is truly priceless!


No amount of advice can truly prepare you for the amazing and unpredictable adventure of parenthood, no matter how honest and upfront.  But hopefully you took a few minutes to relax while you read this...and remember to avoid those 3am infomercials!

4 comments:

  1. I am shamelessly fond of those disposable undies! I had minor surgery earlier this year, and I was SO excited to find that they'd given me a pair. They're not at all cute, but they are so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good advice, B!! All of it is so true...I like the comment about the 3AM infomercials...I was actually on a TLC kick while she was feeding so often, including watching reruns through the night. If I had any other tip it would be to accept help...any help that comes your way! You are a great mom:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. SO TRUE!!! But, we do love our new car! :) This time around I'm pretty sure we'll end up with either a carpet cleaner or one of those shark steamers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww I feel honored that I helped inspire this post! hehe So tell me about these disposable undies. Never heard of such a thing, and it sounds rather odd right now...

    ReplyDelete