Thursday, January 27, 2011

Mission: Be "X"treme

The secret's out - 29 has been full of "firsts" for me!  It all started last May when I discovered my love for running.  I have run competitively in a few 5K's and am currently in training to run my first half-marathon this May at the Indianapolis 500 Festival - exactly 100 days away!  Then in July, I colored my once-blonde tresses auburn (something I've been wanting to do for years and finally decided just to go for it!)  Success!  I love my new hair color - just the pick-me-up this mom of three needed. 

Next up on the list of "firsts": the cake.  Baking and decorating my son's first birthday cake was certainly something I never thought I'd be able to do... (And it should be noted that, in an attempt to overcome my computer inept-ness, I just posted a text link to my blog for the very first time...all by myself!  Ha!)  My mantra for the big 3-0 (less than 2 months away now): No Regrets.  No longer will I talk myself out of all those things "I could never do"...


So welcome to my exciting new adventure in health and fitness: P90X.  According to their website, "In just 90 days, you can get back in shape, or build the body you've always wanted. All you need is a set of dumbbells or resistance bands, a pull-up bar, and about an hour a day. No gym membership required."  I longed for the flat stomach and tone muscles I enjoyed many years ago - before I had three kids!  I have been back to my pre-pregnancy weight for months, but tone?  Not exactly.  Abs?  Forget it!  Both my pregnancies delivered via c-section.  It occurred to me recently that I am not exactly positive if my abdominal muscles are even in their proper location.  I mean, I had some excellent doctors but they moved a lot of things around to get those babies out! 

I have heard so many great reviews of the program and I was curious to see if I could do it.  So I asked my brother if I could borrow his DVD's.  They sat downstairs in their case for 2 weeks, staring at me every time I would watch Biggest Loser while munching on my snack of the night.  I had already started running on the treadmill in preparation for Mini Marathon training and I knew I would need some variety to my workout if I was going to train faithfully until May.  Finally last Thursday morning, I decided to get them out.  No Regrets, remember.  Once I did the first workout I was hooked. 

Yes, it's hard.  No Pain, No Gain.  (I'm full of great sports cliches tonight!)  Yes, at 50-60 minutes per day, it's time consuming but the workouts go quickly and because there are short water breaks spread throughout the workout, I have no problem keeping up.  I completed my first full week of workouts last night with Kenpo X (easily my favorite, though I love the Plyometrics workout as well .  Both are cadio-centered - lots of jumping, kicking, and boxing!) 

I was sore the first few days, but Day 4 was Yoga X which means I was all stretched out by the end and haven't been sore since.  Sidenote: I have never done yoga before, it always seemed too boring for me, so this was my first experience with anything outside of the very basic moves/stretches that are on my Wii Fit.  My balance is pretty good and I used to be flexible, so I figured this would be easy.  Wrong.  My body needed to remind my brain that my cheerleading and gymnastics days are far, far behind me!  However, I would love to know who took inventory of all the stretches we learned at cheerleading camp 15 years ago, put them on a video and called it Yoga??   

And my reward for sticking with it?  Confidently putting on a bathing suit this summer!  Because, really, what's hotter than a mom hitting the beach to showcase her tone tummy and  her stretchmarks?!

7 comments:

  1. Brandi you inspire me! I turn 30 in July and I'm tired of being tired and not being exactly what I want to be. Also, you get major gold stars for linking to your own posts and for proper use of the P90X graphic!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Abby - I knew you would be proud of my newfound blog skills :) We really should get together (especially when it's warmer) to run or walk together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brandi...that is awesome! I agree that c-sections are the worst on the abs! I may just have to check out the P90X...right now I'm dying through Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So proud of you! I can't wait for more updates on your progress. Is this program something that could be done in a TINY TINY TINY space? Gym memberships are WAY too expensive here. Anyway, keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Betsy - I did 30 Say Shred off and on for a couple months after my last pregnancy. I really liked it, but once I got into it Level 1 was too easy and L3 was too hard, so doing L2 every day was boring! The Plyo workout on P90 is very similar though.

    Jody - you really don't need a lot of space. Make sure you have enough room to kick/punch in every direction. There are a couple of up and back movements that you could modify to do 2 up/2 back instead of 4 up/back. I estimate my workout space is about 6 x 5 ft. Let me know if you decide to start!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am really proud of you too, B! It is SO hard to get motivated to do much at all in the winter. The workout sounds like a really good one too. I'd love to get something like this started at home once #2 comes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I joined the closest gym to our house (1 block away) and I still have a hard time convincing myself to go every day. Maybe something like this would get me to work out even on the days I stay home.

    ReplyDelete